Midwest Association for College and University Physical Education Scholar/Lecture Award
The Midwest Association for College and University Physical Education (MACUPE) Scholar/Lecture Award recognizes a female member who has demonstrated distinguished service to health, physical education, recreation, dance and/or sport.
At the 1996 annual Midwest Association for College and University Physical Education (MACUPE) meeting, the members voted to establish a scholar/lecture in the SHAPE America Midwest District. "The MACUPE mission was to provide a forum for academic dialogue, to enhance personal and professional growth and development, to facilitate interdisciplinary discourse in physical education and related fields among women in higher education in the Midwest.”
Candidates shall be current members of SHAPE America and shall be women with expertise or work in one or more of the following areas:
- Scholarly or creative activity (publications, presentations) related to professional development;
- Advocacy for physical education;
- Applied research with relevancy for physical educators.
Candidates and their lecture must be in accord with the mission of MACUPE.
The lecture shall have interdisciplinary implications within the domains of physical education.
The lecture shall be called the “MACUPE Scholar/Lecture,” and the speaker will be the MACUPE Scholar/Lecturer.
The Scholar/Lecturer shall receive an honorarium of $1,000.
The Scholar/Lecturer shall agree to present a one-hour lecture/presentation at the SHAPE America national convention, a district event or a state affiliate conference. Any state interested in the presentation may make arrangements directly with the Scholar/Lecturer.
The following statement must be included in the convention/conference program:
The Midwest Association for College and University Physical Education Lecture Series has been established by college and university women physical educators to enhance the personal and professional development of physical educators in the Midwest.
Application Deadline: September 15
All applicants must submit the following application materials to Dr. Mary La Vine, Midwest District Awards Committee Chair:
- Award Application Cover Sheet;
- Written documentation demonstrating compliance with the award qualifications (resumes or vitae not accepted); and
- A current letter of recommendation from applicant’s administrator or colleague. The letter should be directly related to the award qualifications, providing a biographical sketch outlining the contributions of the applicant and how those contributions are deserving of recognition.
Selection and Recognition Process
The Midwest District Awards Committee will select one MACUPE Scholar/Lecture recipient as long as funds are available to provide for the honorarium. The nominee will be presented to the Midwest District Leadership Council for approval. The recipient will be notified by October 1 and be presented with the award at his/her state conference.
Questions? Contact Dr. Mary La Vine, Midwest District Awards Committee Chair.