What are Program Councils?
The Program Councils are the idea generators of the organization. The councils carry out SHAPE America's mission by organizing task forces, carrying out and accomplishing work on behalf of the organization and communicating with the membership at large about the needs of the profession and the resources that SHAPE America should provide.
Interested in joining one of the councils?
Submit your application by November 16, 2016.
(Note: See "Problems Opening a PDF" to the right if you have any trouble opening the application. You may also download our non-interactive application that can be filled out by hand, scanned and sent to the email address listed at the bottom of the application.)
What do the Program Councils do?
The charge of each of the four programs councils includes the following:
- Relate all activities to "50 million strong by 2029" initiative.
- Think creatively (big picture--out of the box) about strategic plan initiatives and appropriate programs, products and services (PPS) related to the respective focus areas listed above, considering overall impact, member benefit and return on investment. Prioritize projects and activities based on Board of Directors' annual recommendations.
- Review existing programs, products, services, activities in relation to strategic plan and recommend continuation, revision or elimination. Help guide new initiatives through review process and recommend task forces and ad hoc committees needed for completion.
- Review and propose actions in the following areas: advocacy, awards (scholarships), publications, convention/conferences, professional development, technology and social justice.
- Build communication with related Affinity/Special Interest Groups.
- Provide report/update prior to each Board of Directors in-person meeting and/or when requested.
- Recommend partnerships/sponsorships where appropriate.
How can I become a member of the council?
Submit your application! Applications are available online, here and are due by November 16
for terms beginning at the next annual SHAPE America National Convention & Expo. New council members are selected by existing council members and will be notified by December 31.
What is the term of a council member?
Council members begin their term at the SHAPE America National Convention & Expo and end their term three years later, also at the SHAPE America National Convention & Expo.
How often do the Program Councils meet?
Councils primarily conduct their business through monthly conference calls and regular email exchange. They also meet in-person at the SHAPE America National Convention & Expo (at their own expense).
What content areas are represented by the council?
The School Health Education Council addresses the areas of Health Education Teacher Education (HETE), K-12 School Health Education, and State/District Health Education Administration.
The Physical Education Council addresses the areas of Dance, Physical Education Teacher Education, K-12 Physical Education, Adapted Physical Education, State/District Physical Education Administration.
The Physical Activity Council addresses the areas of lifespan physical activity, dance, sport, adapted physical activity, and outdoor adventure education.
The Research Council addresses the areas of curriculum and instruction, exercise science, motivation and psychology, motor behavior and measurement, physical activity and health, sociocultural and social justice, and sport and coaching.